Instructionally Related Activities (IRA) Student Travel

Effective Spring 2024, all Instructionally Related Activities (IRA) funding will be processed through the Provost's Office in Academic Affairs.

Student IRA Travel

The Provost’s office is currently only responsible for Individual Student IRA Travel.  IRA travel funding is only offered in the Fall and Spring semesters.

Funding Guidelines:




As of June 1, 2021, CSU pandemic-related travel restrictions have ended. Authority and responsibility for SF State travel is now at the campus level. The travel ban has been lifted. Reasonable and necessary travel may resume according to the CSU Travel Policy including the timely submission of travel requests before making any travel arrangements.

Travelers are responsible for complying with SF department of Public Health orders and the health orders for their destinations. Travelers should adhere to the latest travel guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Students may be funded for independent travel through the Instructionally Related Activities (IRA) fund in accordance with the guidelines and procedures indicated below.  Student travel will be funded only if the following conditions are met and the request is approved in advance by the University Provost (or designee).


  1. Must be currently enrolled at SF State.
  2. Must be an active participant in the conference/meeting he/she wishes to attend (i.e. a presenter of a paper or performer).
  3. Will not be funded if he/she is eligible to receive travel funds to attend the same conference/meeting through any IRA budget (e.g. Forensics, Model UN).
  4. No more than $600 will be awarded per student each fiscal year.  Funds must be expended in accordance with state travel regulations.  Funding requests to travel outside of the U.S. must follow current CSU International Travel/Travel to High Risk Countries guidelines and the advance process necessary through the college dean (or designee), Risk Management, the provost and the president.  NOTE: Travel insurance is required for all International Travel with the insurance cost being deducted from the allocation.
  5. May not be reimbursed for mileage or the cost of a rental car unless he/she is employed by the University (or appointed as a volunteer) and meets the SF State Driver Safety Program requirements.
  6. For SF State/CSU detailed travel information, please go to: CSU TRAVEL POLICY.

Governor Gavin Newsom signed SB 447 on September 2023, ending California’s restriction on taxpayer funded travel by state agencies to states which have adopted discriminatory LGBTQ+ laws. There are no longer any banned states for CSU travel. 


      Submission to request approval of student IRA travel  must include: 

  •  A completed Request for Approval of Student IRA Travel form (linked below).
  •  A request for Request for Authorization to Travel form, lines 1-5 completed and signed.
  •  A signed Release of Liability for Domestic or International form (linked below).
  •  A brief statement indicating how participation in this conference/meeting will enhance his/her educational goals.
  • Attach evidence of his/her participation (e.g., a letter of invitation or a copy of the conference program or acceptance from the conference/meeting).The student forwards the travel request forms and supporting documents to the chair of his/her major department.  The chair either endorses the request or denies it based on its adherence to the guidelines stated above and/or its educational merits.  If endorsed, the student forwards the request and supporting documents to the dean of the College:
  • The dean (or designee) endorses or denies the request based on its adherence to the guidelines stated above and/or its educational merits.  If endorsed, travel coordinator prepares the Request for Authorization to Travel form for the student and forwards it and the IRA Travel Application Form, and submit supporting documents on our BOX Folder
  • The provost (or designee) either endorses or denies the request based on its adherence to the guidelines, educational merits, and budgetary restrictions.  If approved, travel documents for the student will be returned to the College dean’s Office in our BOX Folder.  NOTE:  If the travel is international, the College is responsible for submitting the appropriate documentation to Risk Management for International Travel approval.  Funding advances for student travel are not allowed.
  • Immediately following the trip, the student submits receipts for airline tickets, hotel, meals, conference/meeting agenda etc. to the College dean’s office along with a brief written evaluation of the conference/meetings attended and the value of the experience.  The travel coordinator then prepares the Travel Expense Claim form and submits it along with the previously approved Request for Authorization to Travel forms (NOTE:  if airfare is booked through Fell Travel, the reservation code must be printed on the form), the appropriate receipts and the student’s written evaluation of the conference in our BOX Folder.  Documents should be submitted as soon as possible for processing, but no later than 60 days from the date the student returns from their trip. 



College Travel Contact Information

For questions, please contact travel coordinators at your College dean’s office as follows:

College Travel Coordinators and Contact Information

College of Business      Charlene Ngo   (415) 338-7388
Graduate College of Education   Victoria Narkewicz (415) 405-3681
College of Ethnic Studies    Cassandra Abregana-Reyes (415) 338-1693 
College of Health & Social Sciences Susan Cuong (415) 405-3687
College of Liberal & Creative Arts Arsham Pourfallah (415) 405-4229
College of Science & Engineering Tracy Thai     (415) 338-7695

The Provost's Office is also always available if you need support with our student IRA travel process. You can email Mona Sagapolutele at