Effective Spring 2018, All Instructionally Related Activities ( IRA) funding requests will be submitted and processed by the VP of SAEM, Luoluo Hong's office. For questions, please contact Chief of Staff, Tony Little or go to their website.
Student IRA Travel
The Provost’s office is currently only responsible for Student IRA Travel. IRA travel funding is only offered in the Fall and Spring semesters.
SAN FRANCISCO STATE UNIVERSITY
REQUEST FOR INDEPENDENT STUDENT TRAVEL FUNDING
GUIDELINES AND PROCEDURES
Students may be funded for independent travel through the Instructionally Related Activities (IRA) fund in accordance with the guidelines and procedures indicated below. Student travel will be funded only if the following conditions are met and the request is approved in advance by the University Provost (or designee).
- Must be currently enrolled at SF State.
- Must be an active participant in the conference/meeting he/she wishes to attend (i.e. a presenter of a paper or performer).
- Will not be funded if he/she is eligible to receive travel funds to attend the same conference/meeting through any IRA budget (e.g. Forensics, Model UN).
- No more than $600 will be awarded per student each fiscal year. Funds must be expended in accordance with state travel regulations. Funding requests to travel outside of the U.S. must follow current CSU International Travel/Travel to High Risk Countries guidelines and the advance process necessary through the college dean (or designee), Risk Management, the provost and the president. NOTE: Travel insurance is required for all International Travel with the insurance cost being deducted from the allocation.
- May not be reimbursed for mileage or the cost of a rental car unless he/she is employed by the University (or appointed as a volunteer) and meets the SF State Driver Safety Program requirements.
- For SF State/CSU detailed travel information, please go to: CSU TRAVEL POLICY
- Submission must include:
· A completed Request for Approval of Student IRA Travel form.
· A request for Request for Authorization to Travel form, line 1-5 completed and signed.
· A signed Release of Liability for Domestic or International form.
· A brief statement indicating how participation in this conference/meeting will enhance his/her educational goals.
· Attach evidence of his/her participation (e.g., a letter of invitation or a copy of the conference program or acceptance from the conference/meeting).The student forwards the travel request forms and supporting documents to the chair of his/her major department. The chair either endorses the request or denies it based on its adherence to the guidelines stated above and/or its educational merits. If endorsed, the student forwards the request and supporting documents to the dean of the College:
- The dean (or designee) endorses or denies the request based on its adherence to the guidelines stated above and/or its educational merits. If endorsed, travel coordinator prepares the Request for Authorization to Travel form for the student and forwards it and the IRA Travel Application Form, and sends supporting documents to Mona Sagapolutele, executive assistant to the provost and vice president for Academic Affairs, ADM 455.
- The provost (or designee) either endorses or denies the request based on its adherence to the guidelines, educational merits, and budgetary restrictions. If approved, travel documents for the student will be returned to the College dean’s Office. NOTE: If the travel is international, the College is responsible for submitting the appropriate documentation to Risk Management for International Travel approval. Funding advances for student travel are not allowed.
- Immediately following the trip, the student submits receipts for airline tickets, hotel, meals, conference/meeting agenda etc. to the College dean’s office along with a brief written evaluation of the conference/meetings attended and the value of the experience. The travel coordinator then prepares the Travel Expense Claim form and submits it along with the previously approved Request for Authorization to Travel forms (NOTE: if airfare is booked through Fell Travel, the reservation code must be printed on the form), the appropriate receipts and the student’s written evaluation of the conference to Mona Sagapolutele, Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. Documents should be submitted as soon as possible for processing, but no later than 30 days from the date the student returns from his/her trip.
For questions, please contact travel coordinators at your College dean’s office as follows:
College Travel Coordinators and Contact Information
|College of Business||Charlene Ngo||(415) email@example.com|
|Graduate College of Education||Victoria Narkewicz||(415) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|College of Ethnic Studies||Dottie Ross||(415) email@example.com|
|College of Health & Social Sciences||Susan Cuong||(415) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|College of Liberal & Creative Arts||Elizabeth Post Musgrove||(415) email@example.com|
|College of Science & Engineering||Tracy Thai||(415) firstname.lastname@example.org|